Thursday, May 27, 2010

May 27

I Corinthians 11:4
Every man who has something on his head while praying or prophesying disgraces his head.


When I read this I immediately thought about people wearing caps in the church. I know growing up we were always told of it being disrespectful to wear a hat or cap in church, but the verse is not talking about being in God's house, it talks about praying or prophesying, so I had to dig a little deeper. Covering the head shows a mark of subjection, and it makes him look downwards instead of upwards to his Spiritual Head, Christ, to whom alone he owes subjection. Here is another way it is explained; so a man who prays or prophesies with a veil on his head, reflects a dishonour on Christ, whose representative he is. So now it makes sense, and when we see a man about to pray, we will know know why he takes his hat off before he prays.

No comments:

Post a Comment